Personal Counselling

Maintaining your mental and emotional health is important to academic success and personal wellbeing. The CNC Student Services and Health and Wellness Centre are here to support you in reaching your goals.

Consultation and Referrals for Counselling

Consultation is available for students, faculty, or staff to discuss their concerns and seek support for students. Students may benefit from a range of different support services when they are experiencing distress or personal difficulties.

Referrals for Counselling are made by the Wellness Coach [through Student Services] or Health and Wellness Centre medical staff. Please contact either of these services to schedule a consultation appointment. Our knowledgeable staff will direct you to a support person who can best meet your needs, whether that is for short term counselling, or connection to longer term supports.

Information for Students

Information for Faculty and Staff

Connecting with Care
Who is a student in difficulty?

A student in difficulty is any student who encounters major obstacles to the successful completion of their academic program. Difficulties and students’ ability to cope come in different degrees.

Non-critical struggles

Students experience difficulties, sometimes very significant ones and, like all of us, they may have strong feelings about those experiences. It is normal and healthy for people to feel sad, angry, stressed or otherwise at these times. It’s also normal for them to cry or experience a temporary loss of energy and motivation. Most people are able to tolerate difficult feelings and have support networks that help them manage. In non-critical situations you can support the student by listening actively and making suitable academic accommodations based on your judgement e.g. an extension on an assignment.

Critical concerns

Critical concerns involve student behavior that is atypical, escalating and impacting academic performance but does not pose an immediate threat of harm to self or others. For concerns of a critical nature, listen, offer what academic assistance you can and offer additional support through a referral to student services. To refer a student, inform them of Student Services and our location. If they decide to accept the referral, they will be directed to the appropriate resource(s) by front desk staff.
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 – 4:00pm, Thursdays until 5pm


A crisis is a situation where a person poses an immediate risk of harm or violence to themselves or others. Crisis situations require an immediate referral. Walk the student to Student Services or the Health and Wellness Centre. For after-hours assistance contact Security (local 200) and/or 911.

If you have any questions regarding information presented in this document or particular situations with students, contact Student Services (250-561-5818).

Responding to a crisis

Direct or Indirect Reference to Suicide

Any reference to suicide should be taken seriously regardless of context or circumstance. Indirect references may include:

  • Expressed feelings of hopelessness or helplessness
  • Feelings that the world, family, friends would be better off without them
  • Unreasonable feelings of guilt

During business hours walk the student to:
Student Services (1-753) or Health and Wellness (1-460)

The student will undergo a suicide risk assessment and receive appropriate support. Be prepared to share your observations of the student’s behaviour.

After hours, please assist the student to:

  • Call a support person to assist the student to access the emergency room at Prince George University Hospital of Northern BC or
  • Call 911 for an ambulance and inform Security that one is coming. Be sure to relay your observations and discussions to the paramedic.

In the event of a suicide attempt, immediately call 911, then CNC Security. Inform security that emergency services are on their way. CNC Security can be reached at ext. 200 or 250-561-5827 24hrs/day, 7 days/wk.

Threats and Disruptive Behaviour

Intervention varies with the severity of the offending behaviour.

Specific threats towards another individual must immediately be reported to CNC Security.

In case of physical violence causing obvious injury, call 911 then CNC Security for first aid assistance and inform them that emergency services are on the way.
CNC Security is available 24 hrs/day, 7 days/wk at: ext. 200 or 250-561-5827

Drug and Alcohol Misuse

In case of apparent drug overdose or severe drug reaction, call 911. Then call CNC Security for first aid assistance (ext. 200, 250-561-5827, 24 hrs/day, 7days/wk)

If student appears to have a pattern of substance use, this is a situation of a critical nature. It is important to refer the student to Student Services for support.
However, be sure to speak with the student only when they are sober.

How to talk with a student in difficulty
  1. Speak with the student in person and in private. Stay calm.
  2. Express concern without making generalizations or assumptions. Be specific about the behaviour that concerns you. For example, “I’ve noticed that you’ve come a half hour late to my class these last two weeks. Can we talk about my concerns?” Rather than, “ Where have you been lately? You should be more concerned about your grades.”
  3. Listen carefully and non-judgmentally. Ask open-ended questions to clarify your understanding of their specific needs. Let the student know that absolute confidentiality cannot be promised but you will respect their privacy to the best of your ability.
  4. Acknowledge thoughts and feelings in a sensitive and compassionate manner. Let the student know you are attempting to understand what they are trying to communicate by paraphrasing what they’ve said. “It sounds like you’re feeling isolated and having trouble communicating with others.”
  5. Ask yourself, does this student need immediate support?
    • Yes. The student seems to be at risk of harming themselves or others. (Verbal threats or physical violence, references to suicide or self harm).
      See “Responding to Crisis: Making Immediate Referrals”
    • No. Although distressed, the student shows signs of coping and does not seem to be an immediate risk to self or others.
      Research available resources. Depending on the concern: Contact campus and/or community resources, ask colleagues or supervisors for help or ideas, refer the student to Student Services.
  6. Offer to follow up with the student to ensure referrals were effective but don’t insist on knowing what happened after you provided assistance.


Welness Coach office - located in Student Services

  • (250)561-5818

Counsellors office - located in the Health and Wellness Centre.

Please note *This centre is closed through the month of July.

  • (250) 562-2131 ext. 5377


Please contact front desk for hours.

Student Lifeline

The CNC Student Union provides students access to Student Lifeline, a confidential student support resource program. Get the app by searching "LifeWorks" in the App Store