Frequently asked questions

Before You Come

What are my responsibilities as a potential CNC student?

You are responsible for ensuring that you understand the rules and regulations governing admittance to the program to which you are applying, and that you have confirmed these yourself. Do not rely on what someone else has told you. Up to date information can be found on the CNC website. You are also responsible for following all the procedures below in on application and acceptance, including informing CNC as soon as you receive your visa; if you do not, a seat is not guaranteed. Once you arrive, you are responsible for making yourself aware of the rules and regulations governing your program.

What do I need to apply to the College of New Caledonia?

To apply for admission, you must meet the following requirements:

Certificate, Diploma, Associate Degree, University Transfer or Post-Diploma programs:

  • Be 18 years of age
  • Provide a scanned copy of your passport data pages.
  • Provide scanned originals of your secondary school graduation transcripts or mark sheets and any college or university transcripts for post-diploma programs. All documents must be accompanied by a notarized, official translation into English where applicable.
  • Provide proof of English Language Proficiency either a minimum TOEFL score of 80 (IBT), an IELTS score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5 or equivalent as determined by the College of New Caledonia or have completed CNC’s English for Academic Purposes.

English as a Second Language program:

  • Be 17 years of age
  • Provide a scanned copy of your passport data pages.
  • Provide scanned original copies of your secondary school and post-secondary or degree program transcripts or mark sheets and completion certificate

Admission requirements for the College of New Caledonia depend upon your home country and your current level of education. Some programs may require additional documents such as a portfolio, writing samples, questionnaires, etc. View the program pages for detailed information on admission requirements and additional requirements where applicable.

What is the application process?

Steps to becoming an international student at the College of New Caledonia:

  1. Apply – include with your application the $125 application fee, High School transcripts, Post-Secondary transcripts, proof of English Language Proficiency where required (ie IELTS, TOEFL), and copy of the information page from your passport.
  2. Upon receipt of the above-noted documents, your transcripts will be assessed and your data will be entered into our student files and a student number generated. If you meet the entrance requirements for the program you have applied for a letter of offer will be forwarded by email within approximately four to six weeks.
  3. Once the letter of offer is received you will need to provide a tuition deposit to the College of New Caledonia of $10,000 representing one year of tuition based on 6 courses over two semesters. This money will be held in your name to cover your first year of tuition fees.
  4. After receipt of the tuition deposit you will be provided with a letter of acceptance, receipt and official acceptance details. These documents will be emailed to you. The official Letter of Acceptance is the document you take to the Canadian Consulate office in your country. Applying for your study permit must be completed outside of Canada. This process often takes several months, so please apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your LOA.
  5. Once you receive your visa confirmation it is important that you advise the Admissions Office of your status. Please note, there are a limited number of seats/courses available in each intake for each program. Seats/courses will be allocated based on seat availability and receipt of a scanned copy of your visa or letter of confirmation from CIC. Kindly advise the Admissions Office at immediately upon receipt of your visa so that we can confirm your seat and open online registration. If you do not inform us of your visa status prior to arrival, courses and programs may be at capacity and unavailable for registration. Failure to inform us of your visa prior to arrival, may result in a deferral to a future semester.
  6. You will need to arrange your travel to Prince George. Plan to arrive one week before the orientation session so that you can rest, and settle into your new home and community. Orientation takes place in the week prior to start of classes. Please do not come too early, or after classes start.
  7. Send your travel details to the International Education Centre. Email your itinerary to or phone 250-561-5857 at least two weeks before you will arrive.
  8. Once you arrive at the Canadian border (Toronto or Vancouver) report that you are a student to a Canada Customs or Immigration Official to receive your study permit.

What is the refund policy?

Our refund policy concerning the tuition deposit is as follows:

  • Application fees are NOT refundable
  • International applicants are eligible for a refund ONLY if they are denied a Student VISA. Proper documentation MUST be provided with refund request
  • Monies received by CNC College are NOT transferrable to any other institution of higher learning
  • Students who arrive in Canada with a VISA secured through CNC, but who “Fail To Appear” for classes at our College, WILL BE reported to Immigration Canada as “Missing”
    • Applicants whose request for a Student Visa is declined will receive a full refund on tuition deposits paid, less a $300 administration fee. Contact the International Education office at CNC for a refund request form if your Visa application has been denied.

Where can I find an application form?

Information on how to apply and the application form can be found here.

What is the application deadline?

International Application Deadlines

Intake Applications Open Applications Closed
January June 1st September 30th
May October 1st January 31st
September February 1st May 1st

How long before I will hear back about my acceptance?

Application processing generally takes four to six weeks but may take longer depending on the volume of applications received. The best way to check on the status of your application is to connect with your international agent. They will be in direct contact with the appropriate Admissions Officer at CNC.

Can I check on a friend's/relative's offer letter?

Due to privacy laws the only person who can request information about your offer letter is the applicant themselves or the international agent they are working with.

How much money do I need to show in my account for the study permit?

Students need to be able to show they have enough money to pay for their next semester's tuition. Please contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada at 1-888-242-2100 or visit the website.

What housing/accommodation options do international students have while attending CNC?

International students have several housing/accommodation options while at CNC.

International students attending CNC can apply to the Homestay program to stay with a host family. This is a great way to connect with locals and improve your English. You can find out more about the Homestay program here.

The College of New Caledonia offers international and domestic students the option of staying in campus residence. More information, including fees and application form, can be found here.

If you are looking to make other housing arrangements and require assistance, please contact CNC Cultural Coordinator, Arvinder Billing at

How do I get from the airport to my accommodation?

If you have been accepted into the CNC Residence, a CNC staff member will pick you up at the airport. If you have a previously arranged Homestay placement, your host family will pick you up at the airport. If under exceptional circumstances, your host family is unable to pick you up at the airport, a CNC staff member will pick you up instead.

The airport also has a shuttle service that can be arranged in advance. Taxis are also available at the airport: Emerald Taxi 250-563-3333, Prince George Taxi 250-564-4444.

Student Life

What does the term “medical insurance coverage” mean? How do I apply?

All international students are required to have medical (health) insurance while studying in British Columbia. This is called your “coverage” and is provided to assist you in the event of an emergency or other urgent care need. Visits to clinics and hospitals are very expensive and if you do not have coverage, you are responsible for paying for these expenses yourself.

For the first 3 months of study, temporary medical insurance is provided by Your fee is included in your first term payment. This insurance is automatic and mandatory. Coverage begins up to 7 days prior to the start of your program. If you arrive more than 7 days before your program begins, you are responsible for your own health insurance UP TO THE FIRST DAY OF ORIENTATION. After this date, your insurance will take effect. covers most emergent care issues but does not cover pregnancy, dental or pre existing conditions. Please visit for more information.

After three months, you must be enrolled in the Province of BC’s health insurance plan (MSP). Anyone living in BC for 6 months or longer is required by law to enrol in MSP. Premiums are determined by the BC government and billed directly to students. Assistance with applying for MSP is provided during mandatory Orientation. If you do not attend Orientation, you are responsible for applying on your own and advising the International Office that you have done so.

I don’t have a car. How can I get around in Prince George?

The College of New Caledonia is on a bus route with stops on campus. A bus pass is provided as part of the U-Pass. Schedules are posted at the Library and are available at the CNC Bookstore or online.

Does the College have any student activities or events and where can we find more information?

The International Education department holds approximately 34 events per year, including events such as Chinese New Year Celebration, Summer Bash, Lake Day at West Lake, International Education Week and trips to the Ancients Forest, Barkerville and Jasper. To keep up to date on current events check out the International Education events caledar.

These international student events are also posted in the International Education office and on the College of New Caledonia International Education’ Facebook page.

If you would like to suggest a student event, please contact Miley Yang, International Students Engagement Coordinator, at or 250-562-2131, ext. 5662.

Domestic and International students can find college wide events here. The Students’ Union also hold several events throughout the year.

Can I work? How much can I work? Can I work during the break between semesters?

You are coming to CNC as a full-time student, and you must be prepared to focus on your studies. If you are not successful in your studies, this may affect your ability to work.

All work related legal information can be found here.

Can my family come to visit me?

Yes, with the appropriate documentation. Stop by the International Education office for additional information or view our ‘Inviting Friends and Family to Visit’ document here.

You can also contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada at 1-888-242-2100 or visit the website.

Academic Process

If I have trouble in my classes, where can I go for help?

Testing and Tutoring Services (TTS) has tutors to assist with math, writing, and sciences. An Academic Advisor in Students Services can help you plan your studies so you are ready for the classes you need. If you have troubles outside of school which are affecting your studies, the Wellness Coach in Student Services can help you find assistance.

Who do we talk to about any program or course concerns while at CNC?

The first step is to make an appointment with one of our academic advisors. You can book an appointment by phone 250-561-5818 or email, The International Education department also has drop-in advising hours.

Where can I find information about which post-secondary institutions I can transfer my CNC credit to?

You can find general information about university transfer programs at CNC on the website here. You can also look up your specific courses on the BC Transfer Guide. Note that transferring courses usually requires a grade of C or better.

If you are transferring out of the Province (within Canada), it is up to the receiving college or university to decide which credits will transfer.

I'm having difficulty paying my tuition fees, what can I do?

Available between November 1st – December 5th, 2018

Students who do not pay full fees or set up a payment plan by December 5 at 4 PM will be de-registered from their classes, and risk losing their first choice in courses/sections/instructors.

To set up a payment plan:

  • Register for your courses – you may be required to pay a $300 seat deposit
  • Complete the payment plan application form, available on the student computers in the International Education office. Please make sure you provide the following information on the form:
    • Your CNC student number, name, current address, phone number and e-mail
    • Your financial situation and why you are unable to pay your fees in full
    • Detailed monthly budget showing your income and expenses
  • Meet with Miley, Tony, or Anne in International Education with the following documents:
    • Completed payment plan application form
    • Copy of your bank statement (or online banking app)
    • Registration statement
  • If application is approved, take payment plan paperwork to the Finance Department on the third floor:
    • Pay 40% of your tuition
    • Obtain copy of payment plan schedule

*** All payments MUST be completed before February 28, 2019***

I’m having difficulty getting all the classes I want. Why can’t I register in all the classes I need this semester?

CNC works very hard to predict the number of students who are/will enrol in specific courses to have enough seats to fill the current demand. CNC also encourages students to take classes that interest them, which can lead to program changes. Many students who attend CNC change to programs that better suit them. This can make anticipating the number of seats difficult. CNC does it’s best to hire qualified faculty to fulfill the demand, however, this is not always immediately possible.

Once you have received your acceptance letter, please confirm your Visa status with the International Admissions as soon as possible. You can contact the International Admissions office by phone, 250-562-2131 or email,

Why did I not get into the ‘Management 255’ course?

Management 255 is considered a ‘capstone course’. You need to have completed all prerequisites with a minimum grade of ‘C’ before you can take this course. If you have completed the requirements and are still having issues, please make an appointment with an academic advisor. You can book an appointment by phone 250-561-5818 or email

How can I pay my tuition?

Current students can pay their tuition fees at the Admissions office, located on the first floor of the main Prince George campus, by the front entrance. You can contact the Admissions office by phone, 250-562-2131 or email,

Incoming students please review the application process. You can also contact the International Education office by phone 250-561-5857 or email,

What is the IELTS requirement?

Students need an IELTS result of a minimum overall score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5. The IELTS results must be issued within two years of the expected intake date.

To qualify under the Student Direct Stream, the student must submit a valid IELTS result of 6.0 overall with no individual band lower than 6.0 as proof of English language abilities.

Students submitting an IELTS of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5 can still apply for a study permit, however, the application will be processed in a longer timeline than what is set for SDS applicants.

Be aware that if you enter with the minimum requirements, you will need to improve your English language skills to succeed.

Can I switch programs and will I be able to use the credits from the courses I have previously taken?

Please connect with an academic advisor. You can book an appointment by phone 250-561-5818 or email, The International Education department also has drop-in advising hours.

Are International students eligible for bursaries and scholarships?

Yes, international students can apply for bursaries and scholarships but they must be attending CNC and at the college when they apply.

Policies and Procedures

When can I take a break in my studies?

For information on when you can take a break in your studies, please refer to the following link from the Immigration, Refugees and Canadian Citizenship (IRCC) website.

My Study Permit is going to expire, what can CNC do?

CNC’s international Education department holds a study permit/Visa workshop once per month to assist students with applications and renewals. To find out when the next session will be held, please stop by (room 1-785) or contact the International Education Department at 250-561-5857 or

Upcoming workshops:

  • January 23 Room 1-121 1:00pm - 4:00pm
  • February 20 Room 1-121 1:00pm - 4:00pm
  • March 20 Room 1-121 1:00pm - 4:00pm

You can also contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada at 1-888-242-2100 or visit the website.

Where can we submit feedback about an international agent?

CNC has great relationships with its international recruitment agents across the world. They go through a thorough application process and receive ongoing training from CNC. If you have feedback you would like to submit on one of our agents, please fill out the attached form.

Please submit your completed form to the International Department (in-person) or email it to Anne Harris at You will receive a response from CNC staff within ten days.

Does CNC have a formal Complaint Resolution Policy?

Yes, the Student Complaint Resolution Policy can be found here.

What is a prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a course that must be completed before you take another course. Some courses have more than one pre-requisite. Normally, you require a grade of C or better in a pre-requisite; some courses may require a higher grade.

Prerequisites ensure that you have the skills and background to succeed in advanced courses, which is why you must have a C or better.

What is Academic Probation?

The College of New Caledonia strives to create an environment that promotes and supports academic excellence and personal success for students as they progress toward their educational and career goals. In some cases, if a student has a GPA lower than our minimum academic standard, they are placed on academic probation.

The CNC Probation Policy can be found here.

This policy describes CNC’s standards of academic performance expected of all students, lists the supports available to help improve academic standing and defines the consequences for failure to achieve minimum standards of academic performance.

More information can be found here.

Is ‘Academic Probation’ and ‘Requirement to Withdrawal’ different?


Students under certain circumstances will be placed on academic probation. This is an alert to the student that they are at risk of not completing their program.

Students who fail to meet the minimum academic standard for two consecutive major terms/semesters will be required to withdraw for one major term/semester (i.e. not an intersession).

More information can be found here.

Does the College of New Caledonia put a cap on the number of international students they intake?

The College of New Caledonia provides a welcoming environment for all students from around the world. The international student population has grown significantly in the last few years and CNC is managing this increase as best as possible. CNC does have set capacities for some programs, including PDIT, PDHRM and PDTRM. CNC will be reviewing their international student policies and procedures, which may lead to additional caps in 2019.

Contact International Education

Room 1-785

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon

Designated Learning Institution



Student Testimonials