This program, composed of both a theory and clinical component, will prepare you to work as a Technician in a Medical Device Reprocessing (MDR) Department. Upon graduation, you will have acquired the knowledge and ability to safely and correctly operate a variety of equipment used in MDR and demonstrate responsibility and accountability of MDR duties by performing duties in an ethical and legal manner to ensure patient safety.
Examples of salaries for Medical Device Reprocessing Technicians.
Prior to the start of the practicum, accepted students will be required to:
- Complete a Criminal Record Check (CRC) from the Ministry of Justice. A search which identifies relevant criminal convictions may prevent you from entering the clinical component of the program and therefore make you not eligible to graduate from the program.
- Provide a status report on their immunization history. Details about immunizations will be provided in acceptance packages.
In the case of an outbreak, students that do not comply with the immunization guidelines may experience restrictions during clinical portion of their education by the placement facility, until proof of immunity is provided or until the outbreak is declared over. Being restricted from a required clinical site may directly affect your ability to successfully complete the program.
The cost of immunizations and a Criminal Record Check are the responsibility of the student. Students should be aware that the following characteristics are strongly recommended to be successful in the MDRT program:
- Good command of the English language.
- Ability to attend to detail, to work accurately and neatly, and to manage time effectively.
- Ability to work under close direction as well as ability to act with initiative as a member of a health care team.
- Ability to work in a busy atmosphere and to respond quickly to both verbal and written requests.
- Ability to work in a hospital setting. Previous hospital experience may be an advantage.
- Ability to behave respectfully in the workplace.
- Reliability and dependability with good work habits.
- Flexibility to adjust to shift work.
- Absence of health problems which may affect ability to lift, stand for long periods, or perform repetitive movements.
- Absence of allergies to substances on the skin and the ability to wear gloves for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift at least 25 lbs, stand for a long period of time, and work in a specially designed environment.
A minimum grade of "B" in MDRT 100 and successful completion ("S") of MDRT 110 is required to graduate from the Medical Device Reprocessing Technician Associate Certificate program. Students must successfully complete the theory and clinical portions of the program simultaneously in order to graduate from the program.