The admission requirements mentioned below are the minimum requirements.
Students who do not meet the above requirement, and think they may be admissible as a mature student should consult a CNC counsellor/advisor.
Students are encouraged to submit a resumé and handwritten statement indicating reasons for wishing to enter the program as well as complete two pre-Trades evaluations: a test of mechanical reasoning skills, and the College English/Math Achievement Test (EMAT). Both of these items are included in the selection criteria listed below and will be awarded points.
If the program is over-subscribed, students will be selected based on the selection criteria listed below.
- The letter grade for English 10, English 030 or Communications 11 or equivalent will contribute its actual points to the selection process: e.g., “A” = 4.0, “B+” = 3.33, etc.
- The letter grade for Foundations of Math and Pre-Calculus 10, Math 030, Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10 or Math 030 or equivalent, will contribute its actual points to the selection process: e.g., “A” = 4.0, “B+” = 3.33, etc.
- The mechanical reasoning portion of the Student Readiness Assessmentwill be awarded a maximum of 5 points.
- The English portion of the Student Readiness Assessment will be awarded a maximum of 1 point.
- The Math portion of the Student Readiness Assessmentwill be awarded a maximum of 1 point.
- Credit in one or more trades-related courses at the Grade 12 level with a grade of “B” or higher, or successful completion of any foundation-level trades training program or documented experience of one year in a trade will be awarded 3 points.
- Credit in any of the following: English 11, Principles of Math 11, or equivalents, or Trades Math 042 with a “C” grade or higher will be awarded 3 points.
- Credit for submitting a resumé and personal handwritten statement indicating their reasons for wishing to enter this program will be awarded a maximum of 3 points.
Maximum points = 24