Students who do not meet the above requirements may wish to consult with a CNC counsellor/advisor to determine their eligibility on the basis of mature student status.
Students are encouraged to submit a resumé and handwritten statement indicating reasons for wishing to enter the program as well as complete a test of mechanical reasoning skills, and the College English/Math Achievement Test (EMAT). These items are included in the selection criteria listed below and will be awarded points.
If the program is over-subscribed, students will be selected based on the selection criteria listed below:
- The letter grade for English 10, English 030 or Communications 11 or equivalent will contribute its actual points to the selection process: e.g., “A” = 4.0, “B+” = 3.33, etc.
- The letter grade for Foundations of Math and Pre-Calculus 10, Math 030, Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10 or equivalent, will contribute its actual points to the selection process: e.g., “A” = 4.0, “B+” = 3.33, etc.
- Physics 11 or equivalent with a grade of “C” or higher will be awarded 4 points.
- The mechanical reasoning portion of the Student Readiness Assessment will be awarded a maximum of 5 points. Refer to the Mechanical Reasoning Grading Scale in the CNC Calendar.
- Passing the English portion of the Student Readiness Assessment will be awarded 1 point.
- Passing the Math portion of the Student Readiness Assessment will be awarded 1 point.
- One or more trades-related courses at the Grade 12 level with a grade of “B” or higher, or successful completion of any foundation-level trades training program, or documented experience of one year in a trade will be awarded 3 points.
- Minimum “C” grade in one of the following: English 11, Foundations of Math 11, or Trades Math 042, or equivalents will be awarded 3 points.
- Credit for submitting a resumé and personal handwritten statement indicating their reasons for wishing to enter this program will be awarded a maximum of 3 points.
Maximum points available = 28