Successful completion of at least one of the following:
Grade 10, including the following courses:English 10
ABE/CCP Intermediate Certificate, including the following courses:
English 030 (with a "C" grade or higher)
GED, including the following courses:
English 030 (with a minimum “C” grade)Math 041
Students who do not meet the above requirements may wish to consult with a CNC counsellor/advisor to determine their eligibility on the basis of mature student status.
Documents certifying a current TB screening and health examination must be submitted before the program starts, on official College forms (supplied with acceptance).
In addition to the minimum requirements, it is suggested that anyone planning to apply to this program acquire some background by taking Foods 11 and 12 and Career Preparation/ Hospitality Foods or Cafeteria 11 and 12. It is also advisable to have recent work experience in a kitchen.
Students are encouraged to submit a resumé and a handwritten statement indicating reasons for wishing to enter the program. These items are included in the selection criteria listed below.
If the program is over-subscribed, students will be selected based on the following selection criteria:
- The letter grade for English 10, English 030 or Communications 11 or equivalent will contribute its actual points to the selection process: e.g., “A” = 4.0; “B+” = 3.33, etc.
- The letter grade for the student’s selected math course will contribute its actual points to the selection process: e.g., “A” = 4.0; “B+” = 3.33, etc.
Successful completion in any of following
will be awarded 3 points:
- English 11, Principles of Math 11 or equivalents; or
- Trades Math 041 and Trades 042 with a “C” grade or higher
- Credit for submitting a resumé and personal handwritten statement indicating the reasons for wishing to enter this program will be awarded a maximum of 3 points
Maximum points available = 14
You’ll be accepted to the program once you’ve met all the admission requirements. This is called “first-qualified, first accepted.” If you qualify after the program’s full, you’ll be put on a waitlist.